Friday, August 22, 2008

Green Cay - a Woodpecker

Thursday, August 21, 2008 - As I began my evening stroll I saw a red-bellied woodpecker, a female jumping around on a palm trunk. I know what kind of woodpecker now because I looked it up in the bird book. She was looking for a likely spot in which to drill, but didn't find one while I was watching. This evening's stroll takes place after T.S. Fay dumped buckets and buckets of water everywhere. It's obvious the water level has risen in all the wet areas of Green Cay. Even the otter hole looks like it might have flooded. I'm pretty much all alone here at this time of night (around 7pm) - maybe people stayed away because it looks like rain again?

Not many animals around. Wading birds do not like deep water. I did see a couple woodstorks, a few ibis, even a glossy one, but not much else. And it is unusually quiet. No peeps or croaks or screams from the moor hens. The other day I saw a moor hen battle. They recline on their backs and fight with their feet. Really odd! What was the fight about? Who knows? Territory? It is very comical to see two birds on their backs slapping and poking each other with their feet!!

No comments: